Steps to Financing a Used Car Loan in Florida
Find the best-used car finance rate and payment terms for your used car.
With our Car Loan Calculator quickly run the numbers to get an estimate of what your monthly payment would be.
Save thousands of dollars by getting pre-approved for your used car loan.
Our trusted Auto Advisors have made shopping for a used car easy.
Rates effective January 11, 2021
Minimum loan amount required
Minimum loan amount required
Minimum loan amount required
Minimum loan amount required
Which used auto loan financing option is best for you?
A shorter term car payment plan is a good fit if you want to pay less in interest and save more money.
But if a lower monthly car payment is more important, a long term car payment plan might be the best fit for you.
How to Get Pre-approved for a Used Auto Loan
In order to get preapproved for a used auto loan, we recommend filling out an online application or stopping into one of our branches. Things that can help you to get preapproved and secure auto financing for your used car loan are checking your credit report to make sure everything is accurate, keeping a low debt to income ratio and know what you can afford before you apply.
WHEN SHOULD I CONSIDER A USED AUTO LOAN?
Although every car buying process is different, there are few instances when you should consider used auto financing. Here are common scenarios where used auto financing is the way to go:
- Antique cars (only vehicles manufactured after 1946)
- First-time borrower or those who don’t have established credit
- Parent gifting child with a used car
- A business owner in need of company car
Get answers to common used car buying questions
Can I Finance a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle with TFCU’s used auto loan?
Yes. Certified pre-owned vehicles are great way to maximize a used auto loan from TFCU. Certified pre-owned vehicles have gone through inspection and are generally newer with fewer miles compared to a traditional used car. They also offer a more comprehensive warranty than a traditional used car.
Do I need special documentation for a used car loan?
In some instances, a borrower will need special documentation for a used car loan. Special documents typically include things such as CarFax. Since all used car loans are different we recommend working with your TFCU rep to see what/if special documents are needed.
Will a used car loan go towards a lease?
Typically, new car loans are used for leasing purposes as leases are for the most recent car models. Used car loans are almost always used for buying purposes. When determining what type of loan is best for you to consider if you want to be the owner of a vehicle or if you’re willing to trade it in every couple years. To apply for your online used car loan click here.
Does TFCU offer 0% financing on used cars?
Generally, credit unions do not offer 0% financing on used vehicles. Zero percent financing is usually a type of financing that is offered through the dealership and cannot be combined with any other offers (discounts, rebates, etc.) It’s recommended to compare the 0% percent financing and credit union used car loan rate to see which option will save you the most money.
Do you offer Mechanical Breakdown Protection?
Mechanical Breakdown Protection offered for Auto and Motorcycle.
Your vehicle is a major investment. That is why purchasing mechanical breakdown protection (MBP) is a wise choice. MBP can help ensure that the investment in your vehicle is protected, and reduces the possibility of out-of-pocket expenses when your vehicle suffers an unexpected mechanical failure. Most important of all, Mechanical Breakdown Protection provides Peace of Mind so you can experience Worry-Free Driving!
Money Back Guarantee!
You may cancel anytime during the first 60 days, contingent on a claim not being filed, and get a 100% refund.
Features and Benefits
- Nationwide Protection
- 24-Hour Roadside Assistance for the term of your coverage
- Rental Vehicle Assistance
- Transferable Coverage if you sell your vehicle before your agreement expires
- Learn More about MBP Features & Benefits
The Cost of Repairs
Did you know that one in three vehicles experience a mechanical failure in a given year?
The typical extended warranty owner will make several claims during the life of their contract. Should your
vehicle experience a failure after the manufacturer's warranty expires, without an extended warranty you will have no protection from the unexpected repair costs that can be in the thousands of dollars!
Vehicles today are growing extremely complex and contain high-tech sensors, electronics and computers that suffer unexpected failure and need to be replaced. While engines and transmissions are more reliable than ever, it's these other sophisticated parts that frequently fail. As vehicles become increasingly more complex, associated repair costs rise dramatically!
Do you offer payment protection plans for car loans?
Yes. Payment Protection is available for auto loans. There are two types of Payment Protection:
- Credit Life Insurance pays off or reduces a borrower's loan balance if the borrower dies. Joint Credit Life Insurance protects both a borrower and co-borrower if both are named on the loan application and are jointly and individually liable under the loan.
- Credit Disability Insurance is designed to make loan payments (up to the contract limit) if the insured becomes disabled and unable to work. Joint credit disability coverage is only available in certain states.
Payment Protection Features Include:
- Maximum loan terms and loan balance (for credit life) and contract limit (for credit disability) vary by financial institution and may vary by state. Check your Payment Protection plan parameters for specific details on your plan.
- A medical exam is usually not required although general health questions may be asked.
- Single and joint coverage is available in all states for credit life insurance. Single coverage is also available in all states for credit disability insurance. Check your Payment Protection plan parameters for the availability of joint credit disability coverage in your state.
- Premiums are regulated by each state and generally result in reasonable monthly premiums.
- Application is usually done at time of loan application and the monthly premium is typically included in the monthly loan payment for added convenience.
- Refer to your financial institution's Payment Protection application/certificate or Product Reference Card for details regarding eligibility requirements.
Payment Protection Benefits Include:
- Protects financial security and credit rating: Credit disability insurance protects a borrower's credit rating by ensuring the loan will not end up in default in the event of disability.
- Reduced financial burden: Protects borrowers and their families from financial hardships as a result of loss of income caused by death, illness or injury.
- Protects borrower assets: Allows borrowers and families to retain their assets, including the collateral and savings, when an income is interrupted during unfortunate circumstances.
- Convenient: A short application makes it is easy to apply at time of loan application or loan closing. The monthly premium is included in the loan payment.
- No Obligation for 30 Days: If the borrower decides the plan is not what they need, they can cancel it within 30 days without obligation. Rarely does this occur, but borrowers appreciate knowing that they have this option.
*APR = Annual Percentage Rate. Eligibility for the lowest advertised rate is based on creditworthiness, year of vehicle, ability to repay, credit score, down payment and terms. Other rates and terms may apply and your rate may differ based on the loan program, term of repayment and other factors. TFCU membership required with $5.00 minimum in savings. Member must reside in a state within TFCU lending area. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and Offers are subject to change without notice. Current TFCU accounts must be in good-standing, not have any type of restrictions, and TFCU loans paid-to-date.
** 73-84 month rate and term available for new and used automobiles. 84 month term on used vehicles for current model year plus two model years back Maximum.
Automobile: New automobiles include autos current year and previous year. Used Auto includes previously titled vehicles 8 years old or newer. Up to 100% financing not to exceed the lesser of MSRP or the final purchase price plus tax and Vehicle Service Agreement on new vehicles or the NADA retail value plus/minus options and mileage on used vehicles. Older Used Auto includes vehicles 9 years and older and must reflect a NADA value. Rates are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. Auto Loan Example: $10,000 loan at 2.70% APR with 60 monthly payments of approximately $178.36.