HERE'S HOW FINANCING A NEW CAR LOAN WORKS
When shopping around for financing on a new car loan, we recommend considering a few things before making a decision. Start by comparing new car loan rates and see what payments terms work best for you. Once you’ve got an idea of rates and terms, get an estimate of what your monthly payments would be with TFCU’s auto loan calculator. Next, we recommend applying for an auto loan preapproval. This will come in handy when you’re ready to shop around for vehicles in Florida so that you know what’s in your budget. When you’re ready to start shopping begin your new car search with AutoAdvisors, a free car buying service for members.
How to Get Preapproved for a New Auto Loan
In order to get pre-approved for a new auto loan, we recommend filling out an online application or stopping into one of our branches. Things that can help you to get pre-approved and secure auto financing for your new car loan are checking your credit report to make sure everything is accurate, keeping a low debt to income ratio and know how you can afford before you apply.
- Determine how much you can afford to put down on your new car. By determining how much you can afford to pay out of pocket, will affect the amount you finance the car for. Consider this before using a car loan calculator and getting preapproved.
- Get your preapproval before heading into the dealership. This will help you stick to a budget and let the dealer know you’re serious about purchasing. Getting preapproved at a credit union can also help save money compared to auto financing from a bank or dealership.
- Consider adding protective features to your new auto loan. Buying a new car is fun, but having to pay for damages isn’t talk with your TFCU auto financing team about adding Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP), Mechanical Breakdown Protection and payment protection onto your auto loan.
Get answers to common used car buying questions
How long does approval take on a new car loan application?
It takes less than ten minutes to apply for a car loan. In most cases, you will receive an answer within 24 hours regarding the status of your loan. It can sometimes take a bit longer depending on your credit profile.
Can I apply for a new car loan if I haven't found the car I want yet?
Yes. In fact, we recommend you get pre-approved for your auto loan. Getting pre-approved helps you shop with confidence knowing you are getting the best deal for your new car loan and protects you from sneaky car dealership financing tricks that can cost you thousands of dollars.
Click here to get pre-approved for your new auto loan in less than 10-minutes.
Can you help me buy a new car?
Yes. Our Trusted Auto Advisors team guides you every step of the way to ensure you get the best deal for your new car. They will even go with you to the car dealership to protect you from their sneaky financing tricks.
Do you offer Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP)?
Yes. Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) pays the difference between what you owe on your vehicle and what your insurance company establishes as cash or market value up to the maximum LTV%.
Currently, Guaranteed Asset protection is offered to TFCU members for as low as $610. Dealers may charge up to $800.
Auto Deductible Reimbursement (ADR) is also included with the purchase of GAP insurance!
If you suffer a loss during the benefit period which is covered by your Auto Insurance Policy, you may be entitled to reimbursement of the Auto Insurance Policy deductible amount up to $500 per Loss.
The ADR coverage applies not only to the vehicle that the GAP policy was purchased on, but also any other automobile that is titled and insured by the member who purchased the GAP policy
- Pays up to $500 per loss (UNLIMITED losses per year) when a Loss is filed and paid by the auto insurance company for a Covered Auto the Member owns or leases evidenced by the title, registration or loan document, AND insured under an Auto Insurance Policy designating the Member as the Named Insured.
- Loss means an event for which the auto insurance company has approved and paid a collision or comprehensive claim which exceeds the Auto Insurance Policy deductible for the Covered Auto
- Coverage is effective upon date of enrollment and will continue for 3 year(s) depending on the benefit period provided.
This summary is a brief overview of the program and is not to be considered a full disclosure of policy terms. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for complete forms, conditions, limitations, definitions, and exclusions.
Easy to Purchase
GAP can be included in the amount financed with the loan. Coverage takes effect immediately upon loan dispersal.
60-day Free Look
You may examine your GAP policy for 60 days. If you are not satisfied you may cancel GAP by returning the waiver within the first 60 days of coverage for a full refund of any premiums or amount you have paid.
Do you offer Mechanical Breakdown Protection?
Mechanical Breakdown Protection offered for Auto and Motorcycle.
Your vehicle is a major investment. That is why purchasing mechanical breakdown protection (MBP) is a wise choice. MBP can help ensure that the investment in your vehicle is protected, and reduces the possibility of out-of-pocket expenses when your vehicle suffers an unexpected mechanical failure. Most important of all, Mechanical Breakdown Protection provides Peace of Mind so you can experience Worry-Free Driving!
Money Back Guarantee!
You may cancel anytime during the first 60 days, contingent on a claim not being filed, and get a 100% refund.
Features and Benefits
- Nationwide Protection
- 24-Hour Roadside Assistance for the term of your coverage
- Rental Vehicle Assistance
- Transferable Coverage if you sell your vehicle before your agreement expires
- Learn More about MBP Features & Benefits
The Cost of Repairs
Did you know that one in three vehicles experience a mechanical failure in a given year?
The typical extended warranty owner will make several claims during the life of their contract. Should your
vehicle experience a failure after the manufacturer's warranty expires, without an extended warranty you will have no protection from the unexpected repair costs that can be in the thousands of dollars!
Vehicles today are growing extremely complex and contain high-tech sensors, electronics and computers that suffer unexpected failure and need to be replaced. While engines and transmissions are more reliable than ever, it's these other sophisticated parts that frequently fail. As vehicles become increasingly more complex, associated repair costs rise dramatically!
Do you offer payment protection plans for car loans?
Yes. Payment Protection is available for auto loans. There are two types of Payment Protection:
- Credit Life Insurance pays off or reduces a borrower's loan balance if the borrower dies. Joint Credit Life Insurance protects both a borrower and co-borrower if both are named on the loan application and are jointly and individually liable under the loan.
- Credit Disability Insurance is designed to make loan payments (up to the contract limit) if the insured becomes disabled and unable to work. Joint credit disability coverage is only available in certain states.
Payment Protection Features Include:
- Maximum loan terms and loan balance (for credit life) and contract limit (for credit disability) vary by financial institution and may vary by state. Check your Payment Protection plan parameters for specific details on your plan.
- A medical exam is usually not required although general health questions may be asked.
- Single and joint coverage is available in all states for credit life insurance. Single coverage is also available in all states for credit disability insurance. Check your Payment Protection plan parameters for the availability of joint credit disability coverage in your state.
- Premiums are regulated by each state and generally result in reasonable monthly premiums.
- Application is usually done at time of loan application and the monthly premium is typically included in the monthly loan payment for added convenience.
- Refer to your financial institution's Payment Protection application/certificate or Product Reference Card for details regarding eligibility requirements.
Payment Protection Benefits Include:
- Protects financial security and credit rating: Credit disability insurance protects a borrower's credit rating by ensuring the loan will not end up in default in the event of disability.
- Reduced financial burden: Protects borrowers and their families from financial hardships as a result of loss of income caused by death, illness or injury.
- Protects borrower assets: Allows borrowers and families to retain their assets, including the collateral and savings, when an income is interrupted during unfortunate circumstances.
- Convenient: A short application makes it is easy to apply at time of loan application or loan closing. The monthly premium is included in the loan payment.
- No Obligation for 30 Days: If the borrower decides the plan is not what they need, they can cancel it within 30 days without obligation. Rarely does this occur, but borrowers appreciate knowing that they have this option.
*APR = Annual Percentage Rate. Eligibility for the lowest advertised rate is based on creditworthiness, year of vehicle, ability to repay, credit score, down payment and terms. Other rates and terms may apply and your rate may differ based on the loan program, term of repayment and other factors. TFCU membership required with $5.00 minimum in savings. Member must reside in a state within TFCU lending area. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and Offers are subject to change without notice. Current TFCU accounts must be in good-standing, not have any type of restrictions, and TFCU loans paid-to-date.
** 73-84 month rate and term available for current year automobiles.
2.84% APR for 36 months up to 100% LTV. Rates Valid on 2016-2019 autos. Limited time offer which applies to purchases only. Cannot be combined with any other offer or loan discount.
Automobile: New automobiles include autos current year and previous year. Used Auto includes previously titled vehicles 7 years old or newer. Up to 100% financing not to exceed the lesser of MSRP or the final purchase price plus tax and Vehicle Service Agreement on new vehicles or the NADA retail value plus/minus options and mileage on used vehicles. Older Used Auto includes vehicles 8 years and older and must reflect an NADA value. Rates are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. Auto loan example: $10,000 loan at 2.84% APR with 36 monthly payments of approximately $290.16.
Interest will continue to accrue during the 90-day deferral period on the full amount borrowed beginning on the loan issue date.
Getting a New Auto Loan
Buying a new car is exciting, there’s a lot to look forward to such as new car smell, a tight steering wheel, no stains and the long road ahead. However, before you get overly excited about your new vehicle, it’s important to do your research. We want you to be confident with your decision and drive away feeling special in your new car.
New Car Buying Guide
Whether you’re searching “new car loans” or “best new car loan rates,” TFCU is a one-stop-shop. We don’t want you to rush into an important purchase, instead we want you to have confidence in what you’re purchasing. Check out some quick tips before you apply for a Tropical Financial new car auto loan.
Tip 1: Get the Best, New Car Finance Rates
Before you shop, compare. As a credit union we offer some of the best, new car finance rates compared to other lenders (i.e. banks, private lenders, online). It’s recommended that you play with your options. For example, putting more or less down can fluctuate the rate. *Please note: Tropical Financial car loan rates and payments can vary, which is why we recommend working with one of our representatives or exploring our different options online.
Tip 2: Get Low Interest Auto Financing on a New Car
While exploring our low interest auto financing take advantage of our online calculators by visiting the “Advice” tab and click “Calculators”. You’ll have the option to quickly run the numbers and calculate your monthly car payment, compare loan options and get pre-qualified.
Tip 3: Apply for a New Car Loan at Tropical Financial Credit Union
When comparing and exploring different rates and options, apply for your TFCU new car loan. The application can be found online or just call us.
Tip 4: Once approved for a Low interest auto loan
After receiving an ideal payment, it’s time to start shopping for your new car. We recommend working with AutoAdvisors, a service dedicated to credit union members only.
Benefits of Using Auto Advisors
AutoAdvisors is a service dedicated to credit union members to assist them in the car buying process. They accompany you to the dealership, locate what vehicles will work with your new car loan, and help you save thousands on your purchase, plus more. They work with both new and used cars; whichever way you decide an AutoAdvisors will help you drive away in the car of your dreams.
For more tips and tricks be sure to check out our auto blog here.